Planning commission to reconsider saving trees in MUR 70 developments

Monday, May 14, 2018

Under staff recommendations
trees would not be protected in
MUR 70 zones
The Shoreline Planning Commission meets Thursday, May 17 in the City Hall Council Chamber, 17500 Midvale Ave N, Shoreline 98133

On the agenda is a discussion about reconsidering the development code amendment from February of this year which removed MUR 70 zoning exemptions from the tree code.

The City has discovered that applying the tree code is restrictive to development on lots with trees.

"Developers have provided staff with feedback that the amendment that changed the exempt status for the MUR-70’ zone in 2018 will thwart the planned redevelopment..."

For example:

"The ST stations and guideway are almost primarily in MUR-70’ zones. ST has proposed that 296 significant trees be removed within the MUR-70’ zone.

"If the MUR-70’ significant trees are no longer exempt from replacement, as adopted recently by Council in Ordinance No. 789, ST will be required to provide for 693 replacement trees for the light rail project.

"The City anticipates ST to request a replacement tree reduction because not enough area will remain to replant more than the 296 trees."

The staff report discusses actions taken, what led up to them, what the current issues are, the differing opinions, and their recommendation, which is to exempt MUR 70 from the tree code.

Tree Retention in MUR 70' Development Code Amendment - Reconsidered

Comment on Agenda Items


Anonymous,  May 15, 2018 at 8:05 AM  

What about the thousands of other significant trees all along the East side of I-5 that Sound Transit was poormouthing about having to pay to replace? Is this just another slight of hand to give the appearance that the city "cares" about trees and not developers? To create some big "to-do" about 1% of the trees while divert the attention away from the other 99% slated to be clear-cutted?

Anonymous,  May 15, 2018 at 11:29 AM  

Oh boo hoo. ST needs to figure out a way to recoup some natural greenery - how about sedum on the roofs? Cisterns for capturing rainwater? Rain gardens under the elevated structures? ST has mastered pavement - now lets think about how to recoup some of that natural environment - (move your office from downtown Seattle to less expensive space in MLT or Tukwila or Angle Lake and use the savings to reduce the cost of some of your projects.

Anonymous,  May 15, 2018 at 11:31 AM  

Hey Shoreline - I have an idea - provide exemptions for anything/everything for developers but hold single-family home owners to the letter of the law - oh wait - you've already thought of that...

Anonymous,  May 15, 2018 at 8:06 PM  

I went through a heck of a lot just to get permission to remove one dying tree on my lot. Why not the developes?

Anonymous,  May 16, 2018 at 10:08 AM  

Developers are Shoreline's new protected, vulnerable class. The city's disdain for the modest homeowner is baffling. I'm convinced they want all of us gone.

Post a Comment

We encourage the thoughtful sharing of information and ideas. We expect comments to be civil and respectful, with no personal attacks or offensive language. We reserve the right to delete any comment.
Facebook: Shoreline Area News
Twitter: @ShorelineArea
Daily Email edition (don't forget to respond to the email)

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by 2009

Back to TOP