Sprinklers Save Shopping Center in Kenmore

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

KENMORE, WA – The Northshore Fire Department responded at 10:41 A.M. on Tuesday, February 1st to a structure fire at the Kenmore Village Shopping Center. The fire department was notified by the alarm company that monitors the fire sprinkler system in the building.

On arrival, the firefighters entered a retail space where a fire sprinkler head had activated. They discovered that the fire had originated in an area above the ceiling and had been extinguished by the single sprinkler head. “If not for the presence of the sprinkler system this fire would have caused significant damage to the building”, said Fire Marshal Jeff LaFlam.

There were no injuries reported. Damage to the building was estimated at $3,000.00, damage to the contents has not yet been calculated. The fire was determined to be accidental and was caused by an extension cord that was routed up through a suspended ceiling grid. The fire department strongly urges residents and business owners to avoid using extension cords in place of permanent wiring and to never extend cords through walls, ceilings or doorways.


Post a Comment

We encourage the thoughtful sharing of information and ideas. We expect comments to be civil and respectful, with no personal attacks or offensive language. We reserve the right to delete any comment.

Facebook: Shoreline Area News
Twitter: @ShorelineArea
Daily Email edition (don't forget to respond to the Follow.it email)

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP