Wednesday, February 22, 2017
February 25 and 26, 2017, has been proclaimed by Mayor Chris Roberts as a Weekend of Unity in the City of Shoreline.
The Proclamation for a Weekend of Unity was initiated by the Bahá'ís of Shoreline, and acknowledges the City Council’s unanimous approval of Resolution 401. This resolution, approved on January 23, 2017, declares the City of Shoreline to be a safe place for all. The Mayoral Proclamation affirms the underlying unity of the human family, regardless of skin color, language, religion, culture, or any other apparent difference, and the importance of unity in promoting a more peaceful world.
The Bahá’í Faith is a worldwide religion whose basic principles include:
- The independent search after truth
- The oneness of the entire human race, the pivotal principle of the Bahá’í Faith
- The abolition of all forms of prejudice
- The harmony that must exist between religion and science
- The equality of men and women, the two wings on which the bird of humankind is able to soar
- The introduction of compulsory education
- The adoption of a universal auxiliary language
- The abolition of the extremes of wealth and poverty
- The institution of a world tribunal for the adjudication of disputes between nations
- The confirmation of justice as the ruling principle in human affairs.
Bahá’ís do not view these principles as mere statements of vague aspiration — they are understood as matters of immediate and practical concern for individuals, communities, and institutions alike.
The Bahá’í Writings explain that the reality of God is beyond the understanding of any mortal mind, though we may find expressions of God’s attributes in every created thing. Baha’is recognize that throughout the ages, God has sent a succession of Divine Messengers, known as Manifestations of God, to educate and guide humanity, awakening in whole populations capacities to contribute to the advancement of civilization to an extent never before possible.
For more information on the Bahá’í Faith contact Bahá'ís of Shoreline.