Shorewood soccer victory over Stanwood Monday gives T-Birds first place, while Shorecrest loss drops Scots into tie for second with Glacier Peak

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Scots Kevin Musar and Morgan West against Glacier Peak
Photo by Barb Swan

The Shorewood boys' soccer team defeated Stanwood Monday, to take sole possession of first place in the Western Conference 3A South, while Shorecrest dropped out of a tie with Shorewood because the Scots lost to Glacier Peak, a loss that dropped the Scots into a tie with Glacier Peak for second.

Shorecrest Team Captain Ryan Vanderveen clears the ball
in the game with Glacier Peak
Photo by Barb Swan

Glacier Peak, which had dropped to third place when the Grizzlies lost a Friday match to Shorewood, defeated Shorecrest Monday at Shoreline Stadium, while Shorewood defeated Wesco 3A North leader Stanwood at Stanwood Monday.

Several Shorecrest varsity players are sidelined with injuries
Photo by Barb Swam

Shorewood’s 3-0 victory at Stanwood left the Thunderbirds with an 8-1-1 Wesco 3A record (10-1-1 overall). Glacier Peak's 2-1 victory over Shorecrest gave the Grizzlies a 7-2-1 Wesco 3A record for 15 points, while Shorecrest's loss left the Scots with a 6-1-3 record for 15 points.

Shorecrest and Shorewood both have spots in the
District 3A Tournament
Photo by Wayne Pridemore

Glacier Peak, Shorewood and Shorecrest all have cinched berths in the Northwest District 3A tournament with three games left, but only two will get first-round games at home. Currently Shorewood holds the No. 1 Wesco 3A seed, while tiebreaker rules give Glacier Peak the No. 2 position due to a -1-0-1 record against Shorecrest, and Shorecrest holds the No. 3 spot.

Glacier Peak has finished its schedule against Shorecrest and Shorewood, but Shorecrest and Shorewood meet April 29 at Shoreline Stadium.

Shorewood and Shorecrest will meet again on April 29
Photo by Wayne Pridemore
Shorewood’s victory at Stanwood came on a wonderful night for soccer, with sunshine, blue skies and green grass.

In the first half both teams had a couple of dangerous opportunities, Stanwood nearly scored, hitting the post, but in the last minute of the first half Shorewood was awarded a penalty kick and Anthony Pepe converted for a 1-0 lead.

In the second half both teams came out hustling to improve their position. In the 66th minute Dawda Dibba scored on an assist from Danny Han for a 2-0 Shorewood lead. Eight minutes later Danny Han scored unassisted and the game ended with a 3-0 Shorewood win.

Shorewood goalies Cal Crawford and Isaac Whitaker shared the shutout.


Post a Comment

We encourage the thoughtful sharing of information and ideas. We expect comments to be civil and respectful, with no personal attacks or offensive language. We reserve the right to delete any comment.
Facebook: Shoreline Area News
Twitter: @ShorelineArea
Daily Email edition (don't forget to respond to the email)

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by 2009

Back to TOP