Shoreline Firefighters respond to cardiac arrest call on Shoreline parade route

Sunday, August 22, 2010

By Melanie Granfors
It was a festive Saturday morning... a short time before the Celebrate Shoreline Parade was scheduled to proceed south on 15th NE from 180th St. As families gathered along the parade route, a 70 year old woman collapsed and went into cardiac arrest. She and her husband had just arrived on the parade route, and were on the sidewalk waiting to watch their grandchild march in the parade.

A Shoreline Police officer at the scene summoned Firefighters and Paramedics who responded from nearby Fire Station 63. They began CPR with dozens of parade onlookers witnessing the call.

Firefighters also administered shocks to the patient’s heart via defibrillator and were able to revive and stabilize her before transporting -- lights and sirens -- along the parade route. Onlookers cheered as the Medic 65 left the scene.

At last report, the patient was recovering in the cardiac critical care unit at Northwest Hospital.

Paramedics credited quick action by the police officer at the scene and parade officials for having solid security and communication measures in place even before the parade began.

Shoreline Firefighters say this was a classic example of how a speedy call to 9-1-1 and early CPR and defibrillation is crucial when someone goes into cardiac arrest. It is the reason CPR and use of the automated external defibrillator (AED) are taught to the public. In this case, even a few minutes delay would have had a far less desirable outcome.

The parade proceeded as scheduled.


Post a Comment

We encourage the thoughtful sharing of information and ideas. We expect comments to be civil and respectful, with no personal attacks or offensive language. We reserve the right to delete any comment.
Facebook: Shoreline Area News
Twitter: @ShorelineArea
Daily Email edition (don't forget to respond to the email)

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by 2009

Back to TOP