Evan Smith: Where are DiPeso’s votes?

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

By Evan Smith 
ShorelineAreaNews Politics Writer

Records show that Shoreline City Councilman Keith McGlashan has been re-elected with nearly 79 percent of the votes cast for Council Position 1, but they don’t show how much of the other 21 percent went to write-in candidate Wendy DiPeso.

I had been under the impression that County elections officials counted all votes for write-in candidates who had registered their candidacies.

Now I’ve learned that officials count write-in votes only if the number of write-in votes plus undervotes was enough to affect the outcome.

County records show 2,762 write-in votes and 5,098 undervotes for Position 1. That total of 7,860 is 2,412 votes fewer than McGlashan’s 10.272, a difference of 13.3 percent of the 18,132 ballots cast in Shoreline, far greater than the 0.25 percent required for a mandatory hand recount.

I’d like to know how many of the write-in votes were for DiPeso, and I’m sure that she would want to know how many votes she got for the $21,072 she reported raising and the $16,802 that she spent.

However, King County has other demands on the $4,500 cost of looking at all 18,132 ballots.

I’d like to know DiPeso’s vote total, but not at that cost.

Post a Comment

We encourage the thoughtful sharing of information and ideas. We expect comments to be civil and respectful, with no personal attacks or offensive language. We reserve the right to delete any comment.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP