Friday, November 23, 2012
Emily Asher’s Garden Party brings the flavor of New York’s fashionable vintage music culture to Seattle for the holidays.
Emily Asher’s Garden Party is receiving high acclaim in New York City, New Jersey, Boston and other East Coast cities, but Seattle is at the heart of the band.
Led by Shorewood and UW grad Emily Asher on trombone and vocals, the Seattle core of the band found each other through the community of young traditional jazz players in New York. Jay Lepley , drummer, and Mike Davis, trumpeter grew up just blocks from each other on Queen Anne, yet they didn’t meet until playing on a New York bandstand. Asher was Davis’ beginning improvisation teacher at Burton Music Camp over ten years ago when Davis was only eleven years old. Davis and Asher reconnected at a late night jam session in Manhattan’s East Village. The band also includes Seattle native Michael Glynn now living in Palo Alto, CA.
Emily Asher’s Garden Party will be performing four public dates in the Seattle area December 16-22, 2012:
- Sunday, Dec 16. The Century Ballroom 915 E. Pine St 9pm-midnight $15 All Ages
- Monday, Dec 17. Tula’s Jazz Club 2214 2nd Ave 7:30-11:30pm $15/$8 students. All Ages until 10pm
- Tuesday, Dec 18. Boxley’s 101 W. North Bend Way. North Bend, WA 7-9pm
- Wednesday, Dec 19. The Royal Room 5000 Rainier Ave South 7:30pm All Ages until 10pm
- Saturday, Dec 22. The Conway Muse 18444 Spruce St, Conway, WA 7-10pm $15 All Ages