Monday, September 5, 2016
As one of the Lady Stirling Daughters of the American Revolution Chapter's historic preservation goals, and in recognition of the 100-year anniversary of the original dedication by our earlier Chapter Daughters, the Lady Stirling Chapter arranged for the restoration of the stone monument and two brass plaques on the monument commemorating the Battle of Seattle.
Lady Stirling Daughters placed the original plaques and stone monument in 1916. The two plaques recognize the Battle of Seattle and the U.S.S. Maine; the stone is engraved with the DAR motto “Patriotism, Reverence, Remembrance.”
A brief ceremony to rededicate the restored monument and plaques will take place in City Hall Park, Seattle on October 15, 2016 at 10:30am at the monument site, which marks the location of the Battle.
In recognition of the impact of the Battle on the various indigenous Tribes in the Territory, speakers will also include a representative from the local Duwamish Nation.
Brief Overview of The Battle of Seattle:
The battle took place on January 26, 1856 between Native Americans, angered by the encroachment of settlers on native lands, and the settlers. The battle was a significant milestone for the young City of Seattle because, had the settlers not prevailed, it is widely believed that this territory would have suffered extensive massacres of the settlers with an uncertain outcome for the city. The timely arrival of the Navy’s sloop, Decatur, was a deciding force in winning the battle. Because the battle lasted only one day, there were few casualties on either side.
Nearby Parking to City Hall Park:
Parking Lots: 498 Terrace St, Seattle 98104 or 515 2nd Ave, Seattle 98104
Garages: Frye: 117 3rd Ave S, Seattle 98104 or Butler: 114 James St, Seattle 98104