Tuesday, June 28, 2016
|United We Stand encampment April 2015|
Photo copyright Marc Weinberg
By Evan Smith
When the United We Stand encampment comes to the Richmond Beach Congregational Church July 1 for a three-month stay, neighbors will have several ways to help.
Camp members recently gave this list of their top 10 needs:
- Men's clothing and shoes, pants -- shorts size 34-38, shirts large to 2xl, shoes 10-11
- Gift cards for Target, Home Depot, Ross, Goodwill, Lowe’s, Fred Meyer etc.
- Personal hygiene products, lotions, shampoo, razors
- Gift cards for food or food in general
- Donations for bus passes, pay for meds, laundry, etc.
- Wood -- 2x4, 4x4, plywood
- Medical supplies, heat wraps, blankets
- Tents (need to be in good condition or new)
United We Stand has listed other needs on the Greater Seattle Cares website.
People who want to serve meals to camp members can look for a place on a camp meals’ calendar.
The calendar shows, for example, that groups already have committed to provide dinners July 1, 5, 12, 19, 20 and 26; Aug. 2, 9, 16, 17, 23 and 30; and Sept. 6, 13, 20, 21 and 27.
St. Dunstan’s Church provides dinners every Tuesday evening; another church provides dinners the third Wednesday of every month.
Check the camp’s dinner calendar here