Wednesday, May 11, 2016
|Shorecrest tennis team at SubDistrict|
By Robert Mann
The Shorecrest girls tennis team played in day one of the subdistrict tournament against Lakewood (L), Archbishop Murphy (AM), and Granite Falls (GF) at Granite Falls High School.
The Shorecrest players started strong with all three singles players and all three doubles players winning their first match of the day.
Some players had a long day because they kept winning and had to play three matches in one day in the heat.
The top two doubles teams from Shorecrest will square off in the championship match Wednesday at 1pm. The winner will get a berth to districts the following week in Bellingham and the loser will have to play the winner of the loser’s bracket to decide the final berth to state.
Sadly, the 3rd doubles team have to forfeit their match tomorrow due to AP testing in the afternoon.
The top two Shorecrest singles players still have hope of making it to the district tournament this year, unfortunately they have to play each other in the finals of the loser’s bracket. The winner of that match will play against the loser of the finals for the final singles berth.
1. Eli Parsek (SC) d. Mackenzie Meyer (GF) 6-1,6-2; Parsek (SC) d. Laura Brasswell (L) 6-1,6-1; Laura Gilbertson (GF) d. Parsek (SC) 7-6(4-7), 4-6, 7-5
2. Bella Saunders (SC) d. Erin Espeland (L) 6-0, 6-0; Saunders (SC) d. Van Hollbeke (AM) 7-5, 5-7, 6-4; Gilbertson (GF) d. Saunders (SC) 6-1, 6-0
3. Julie Moss (SC) d. Jillian Desmond (L) 6-4, 6-3; Gilbertson (GF) d. Moss (SC) 6-2, 6-2; Van Hollbeke (AM) d. Moss (SC) 6-2, 6-1
1. Ivens/Burke (SC) d. Charles/Dahl (AM) 6-4, 6-1; Ivens/Burke (SC) d. Lawson/Snider (AM) 6-1, 6-0
2. Nguyen/Farnam (SC) d. Nellenbach/DeYong (L) 6-1,6-1; Nguyen/Farnam (SC) d. Paulsen/Li (SC) 6-2, 6-3
3. Paulsen/Li (SC) d. Bell/Beehler (GF) 6-4, 6-2; Paulsen/Li (SC) d. Williams/Sizelove (AM) 7-5, 6-1