Thursday, March 10, 2016
Puget Sound Energy (PSE) hands out a small pamphlet, called "The Smell of Natural Gas ... Stinks for your safety."
They explain that natural gas is odorless, colorless, and non-toxic. They add a distinct odor called mercaptan to make it easy to detect in the case of a leak.
The pamphlet contains a "scratch and sniff" so you will know what it smells like. Sulphur. Rotten eggs. Truly foul and distinctive.
To request a gas safety brochure, complete this form or call 1-888-225-5773.
According to PSE, if you smell natural gas:
- Leave the area immediately
- Do not use phones, turn any electric switches on / off or use other electrically operated devices that could cause a spark.
- Do not smoke. Avoid all open flames.
- Use a telephone outside your home and call Puget Sound Energy 24 hours a day
- 1-888-225-5773 or 911
- Bubbles rising in a puddle or other pool of liquid
- Dust or dirt blowing from a hole in the ground
- Dead or dying vegetation in unexpected locations
- Hissing (small perforation) or roaring (large break)