Thursday, August 28, 2014
The National League of Cities (NLC) recognized Mayor Shari Winstead for recent completion of key health and wellness goals for Let’s Move! Cities, Towns and Counties (LMCTC). LMCTC is a major component of First Lady Michelle Obama’s comprehensive Let’s Move! initiative, which is dedicated to solving the childhood obesity epidemic within a generation.
NLC recognized the City of Shoreline with a Silver Medal for taking action to expand children's access to programs that offer healthy food before, during, and after the school day, and/or over the summer months, and a Bronze Medal for identifying all food vendors and contractors for municipally-owned or operated venues that serve food, along with the dates when their contracts can be amended or renegotiated.
The actions taken by the City are part of its overall Healthy City Strategy adopted by the Council in 2010 in recognition of the City’s Shoreline4Health programming. The Healthy City Strategy highlights the efforts and investments being made by the City of Shoreline and by partner organizations to further the City's Healthy City goal. The Strategy outlines a work plan of specific activities and partnerships the City will undertake to support Shoreline residents in becoming healthier.
“I’m extremely proud of the work we have done in helping our residents build a healthy community,” stated Mayor Shari Winstead. “Childhood obesity is our generation’s health challenge. We are committed to ensuring our children grow up in an environment that encourages healthy living.”
LMCTC focuses on five actionable goals, which are:
- Goal I: Start Early, Start Smart: Promoting best practices for nutrition, physical activity, and screen time in early care and education settings
- Goal II: My Plate, Your Place: Prominently displaying MyPlate in all municipal or county venues where food is served
- Goal III: Smart Servings for Students: Increasing participation in school breakfast and lunch programs
- Goal IV: Model Food Service: Implementing healthy and sustainable food service guidelines that are aligned with the Dietary Guidelines for Americans
- Goal V: Active Kids at Play: Increasing opportunities for physical activity
For more information about Shoreline’s Healthy City Strategy visit Shoreline's web page More information about LMCTC here.