Friday, June 13, 2014
Photo courtesy UW
Thousands of graduates and their fans will take over the University of Washington’s Husky Stadium on Saturday, June 14. Whether or not you will be in a cap and gown, holding a sign for your favorite graduate or driving into Seattle, you will be impacted by heavy traffic.
While the ceremony doesn’t start until 1:30pm, traffic will start backing up as early as 10am on Interstate 5, State Route 520 and all city streets in the University District. Best advice? Leave early! Find your parking spot and grab a coffee! Traffic will remain heavy throughout the day until the early evening.
And don’t forget about dad! Father’s Day is Sunday, June 15! Traffic should not be as congested as Saturday, however, there are several smaller graduation ceremonies that will take place around the UW. Just give yourself a few extra minutes to get to your Father’s Day brunch/lunch/dinner.
Here are some tools from WSDOT to help you navigate around traffic this weekend.
- Check the Seattle traffic page before hitting the road.
- Use travel alerts to get real-time information about blocking incidents.
- Download WSDOT’s mobile app.
- Follow @wsdot_traffic on Twitter.
- Call 5-1-1 for traffic updates.
- Check the What’s Happening Now page for updates.