LFP History #4: Bothell Way

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Lake Forest Boulevard in 1910, with Ole Hanson and friends striking a driving pose for photographer Asahel Curtis. 
Photo courtesy Historical Museum (SHM 384)
On the first Lake Forest Park plat the name given for Bothell Way N.E. was Lake Forest Boulevard.  The highway also went by a number of other names, including Bothell Boulevard, Bothell Road, and Victory Way. 

In 1914, the “hard-surfaced”  road of Bothell Way consisted of two stretches, each paved differently.  The first stretch, from Ravenna to Lake Forest Park, was surfaced with “Warrenite and asphalt.” Warrenite was promoted by Warren and Warren, a Portland, Oregon company, and was a mixture of both large and small rocks bound together with asphalt.  The stretch from the Park to Bothell, completed in December 1913, was paved with brick. 

Bender, Barbara L. Drake Growing Up With Lake Forest Park: Early Decades in “North Seattle”.  Seattle: Creative Communications, 1983

Lake Forest Park celebrates its 50th anniversary in 2011. Courtesy of the City of Lake Forest Park and the Shoreline Historical Museum, The ShorelineAreaNews will be reprinting the historical series about Lake Forest Park which originally appeared in the Towne Crier in 2009. 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous,  December 27, 2010 at 5:35 PM  

These historical photos and features are wonderful.

Can you tell us more about Asahel Curtis?

Thanks Vicki Stiles!!!!

DKH December 27, 2010 at 9:26 PM  

For a lot of information on Asahel Curtis, see the HistoryLink.org article at this location:
http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=8780

Editor

Post a Comment

We encourage the thoughtful sharing of information and ideas. We expect comments to be civil and respectful, with no personal attacks or offensive language. We reserve the right to delete any comment.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP